Tuesday, August 3, 2010

There is a flower at the tip of my nose smelling me

For my daughter's first Christmas, I bought her a children's book by Alice Walker, one of my favorite authors. It has become one of our favorite books to read aloud and I plan to read it to my classes on the first day of school this year. The title of the book is There is a Flower at the Tip of My Nose Smelling Me.

The book is written as a poem and on every page, there is something from the world (flower, sky, ocean, song, etc.) that is acting upon the reader...the song is singing me, the ocean is swimming me, etc. The notion that humans are not the center of the world appeals to me. It gives us perspective on our place on this planet. That's why I've named my blog "World Exploring Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment